Woffie

What are your plans after 4.2 is released?

This is directed to the members here. Lets face it, there is nobody out there that can compete with Sherri as far as skinning for IPS. She has no real competition since Kim left for what she thought were greener pastures with Xenforo. That is why it is so sad that the site and Sherri's business here has come to what it is. If Sherri and the members here are honest with themselves, they can attest to the fact that the disappearing act has been going on for 2 years or more. That is why people stopped doing the Premium Memberships. Sherri, you come in like gangbusters and are active and produce themes, like you did last fall. Then you disappear for weeks or month's. The support here is non-existent. You say your here, but yet there is no evidence of it. You said 3 month's ago that you would soon be releasing a bunch of themes. nothing..... It is your business, but this is not the way to run it. The current themes are so out of date. Every time that there is an upgrade to IPS, I think to myself, "is this when they no longer work?" The last upgrade I had to do the "Something is Wrong" thing 3 times to get the themes to work right. I am not trying to attack you Sherri. I don't know what is going on in your personal life. Maybe this is just not that important to you anymore. I don't know. My prayer for you is that whatever it is, that it gets resolved so that you can get back to making the best themes on IPS.

So, my plans after 4.2 is released, will not likely include using themes from here. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to, but I doubt it will happen.

I'm sorry I've let you down Woffie. The truth is, there has been a LOT going on in my personal life that has only begun to get better over the past couple of months. Something happened that changed me more than I wanted to admit and it's something I can't talk about, but I have healed from it now, but you are correct on the time frame. It happened about 2½ years ago I think. ...The summer of 2014 to be exact. June will be 3 years. I thought I would never be the same again, but somehow, with enough time and prayer, I woke up one morning about 2 or 3 months ago and the hurt and pain of what had happened was finally gone. I was able to move on. On top of that, I hate, hate, hate, hate EVERYTHING about the IPB 4.x series. I feel like they ruined a masterpiece when 4.0 came out and it just keeps getting worse with each upgrade. IPS is so focused on having this upscale, modern, feature rich product that they got lost in it all and made the software so that it's not user friendly anymore and I'm a computer whiz and STILL can't believe all the issues with this thing. It's a nightmare all bundled up into code that no average user can make sense of. I am trying to get my groove back. I truly am. I miss the old days when I was whipping out beautiful designs left and right. 6.png Well... Recently, (about a month or so ago) I started working long hours again to whip out some themes and then along comes another batch of IPB upgrades yet again and it set me back AGAIN.  It's like it's never ending. With themes as custom designed as mine are, you can imagine the hassle to keep them all upgraded. I hate that I am restricted from doing all my cute and pretty details to my themes that I use to do, like with category headers and 3 image logos, etc. Well... Then, thankfully, a couple of weeks ago WotSit and I came up with a plan to make life easier on us. I'm making one theme to use as a base for coding (layout, etc) then each theme will have it's own graphics and css to make each one unique in color and design. This way, I only need to upgrade ONE theme and then use that as the base to add in the graphics and css for every other theme. (I hope that makes sense. I swear it made sense in my head. LOL!) Now, after a while when I have my groove back, I will have a few more base designs that I can edit graphics and css so my themes don't all appear to be too similar, but this is how we're trying to get things kick-started again. Another issue as well, is that I need to be able to create new themes. A LOT of our themes we have carried since IPB 2.3 version and they are old and boring. That is the worst thing that can happen to an artist is to never have the time to make new creations because I'm always upgrading old ones. So I've decided to retire a lot of our old themes since I can no longer use all the fancy details I use to anyway, and make new themes all together. Many will be based on similarities of old themes, but will have a new name and new face lift. Being able to make new themes and have this easier way to upgrade CONSTANTLY are the only 2 ways I know of that I can make this whole 4.x work and stay in business. I cancelled premium memberships when 4.x series came out because I just couldn't promise to keep up with theme upgrades and new releases. It is humanly impossible for one person to do. So, once I get my groove back, I will bring back premium memberships again. I just have to make sure I have products to offer that make it worth it all to you guys. I'm trying. I promise I am. 9.png

Reading what you said and seeing it in my face was an eye opener. You said everything I already knew but didn't want to admit to myself. I have to admit, it had a huge impact on me while I was reading it. I hope I'm able to get my groove back and make you guys proud again. I promise to do my best.

Big hugs,

Sherri

Sorry to hear about your problems Sherri,but you really need to get your support sorted,nothing kills a business faster than slow or indifferent support.

Hope you get back in your groove soon.

Ps i hate Ipb4 as well its bloated & slow,vbulletin too expensive.

Yeah, 4.x is impossible for someone who is not a coder to create themes, I have tried and failed miserably. Like I said, nobody does it better than you Sherri.

Sherri, thank you so much for your reply to Wolfie's post, it makes so much sense reading this and it makes me glad I have come in here just about every single day in the hope you would 'wake up'. I so understand your frustration with IPS and totally agree with you saying that IPS has lost sight of what the community software is all about, I still like their 3.0 series best and do not care for the 4.0 series at all. I have a feeling though that you might never be able to get a chance to always be fully caught up with IPS as they shake their updates out of their sleeves just like that. :-)

Sherri, the people who come in here on a regular basis care about you and love your creativity and quality of work. That's why we kept andkeep coming back. I am also glad that WotSit is still here as well. So here is to a new beginning Sherri. I like your idea of getting rid of some cobwebs (old themes) and focus on some new themes. I think the plan that you and WotSit have regarding a 'base model' could work well. Time will tell I guess?

Wolfie, thank you for starting this topic, I for one truly appreciate your honest and factual opinion.

~Jas

On another positive note, from what I have been reading, they are going to be making 4.2 easier for theme creators.

IBThemes now comes packaged with Love and Care ...

... I like that.

Loyal Customer,

Tbar

www.tidesofwar.net

Hi @Sherri

Thank you for the great update which was honest and candid. Well done, you. The new business model sounds much more practical and should help you a lot. Plus having less graphic heavy themes are probably better for everyone. 

I would also try contacting Lindy at IPS direct via PM and talk to him about how IPS 4 has changed and impacted on your business, if only to give him some contructive insight and perhaps they can provide some extra support.

I don't know if IPS use the LESS framework in their CSS design, but I've just started reading some tutorials on it, and I can see it's a great idea that can save a lot of time. For example, as I understand it, you can create variables that hold say a font color CSS for specific elements. You use that variable's name throughout your LESS style sheet instead of typing in the same colour each time in dozens of places. Then, if you ever want to change that particular colour, you just change it once in the LESS version of your CSS, generate a new version of your actual CSS sheet instead of having to remember which element was which, search, find and replace etc.

2.png

This is understandable and I hope you will feel better with the new versions.  I only use one of your themes in my board and I am getting tired of it...7.png  Can't wait to see new themes.  

Sadly nothing has changed. I would like to make a suggestion to you Sherri. All the other theme authors charge on average $20 per year for upgrades. This does two things, it gives you an incentive to upgrade the themes as you will continue to get revenue from the theme. Also, your customer knows that his themes will stay up to date. It is a good business model. What you got doing now is not a good business model. 

Agreed, but ... I still have faith. There has to be a very good reason for a person like Sherri not to be attentive.

4 hours ago, Tbar said:

Agreed, but ... I still have faith. There has to be a very good reason for a person like Sherri not to be attentive.

I am sure there is. I am not trying to beat up on Sherri. It is her business, she can run it like she wants to, or not run it if she so chooses.

I am really happy that the themes are finally being upgraded. It came too late for me as I have moved on. That is not to say I won't buy one of Sherri's seasonal themes when they are upgraded. Hopefully this will rebuild people confidence in Sherri's themes, if they see that they are being upgraded.

I too am happy to see the current themes being upgraded. However, I only use custom skins .. and now things don't look so good for me with IBTheme 6.png I plan to stay with IPS CMS I'm not sure what I will do for skins now. It would be awesome if Sherri and Pete could team up.. I  sure hope IBTheme gets everything together and becomes what it really could be.. da best.

It is very strange to see so many ups and downs here. Pete comes in to the rescue and Sherri bails again. She has not been on here since the middle of November. How many of you do not even visit one of your sites for a month? I know she has had internet issues but please.

:: Sighs :::

This site has value.. I sure wish PeteT could or might find someone that could do the graphics and keep this sight moving along. I wish.. I wish.

Looks like you are making progress on the website. Not sure why in the world you needed to shut it down the way you did.

4 hours ago, Woffie said:

Looks like you are making progress on the website. Not sure why in the world you needed to shut it down the way you did.

We merged to site into one and needed fix few issues on download area all now need do add all files everyone account then finish the front off.

Just a suggestion Pete/Sherri, but perhaps simplify/summarise the front home page content. Too much small text, I imagine visitors who have searched out a theme site will want to see the best themes first rather than too much textual copy.

Push the great looking themes and must have plug-ins first, with news updates, featured testimonials/reviews/comments etc. The text information is needed but perhaps break it up a bit, summarise with a 'learn more' link, bullet points etc. You could highlight themes by category, say business themes, light and dark themes, gaming themes, seasonal themes etc and highlight the theme costs, premium packages, any offers/sales etc. 

:)

A good stock of Pages article templates with great typography would be a great offering and in high demand, and I think IBTheme could make some fantastic trophy and awards badges for the awesome Fosters Trophies and Awrds mod. Great opportunity there.